"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pop's Birthday

Today is my (Kevin) dad's birthday. He's been a pretty good dad. He's been a great role model of what a Christian man, husband and father looks like. He's always been there to give me good advice about whatever, and one time he even told my girlfriend (now my wife) to break up with me when she said I was being a jerk. What? He's supposed to be on my side. He listened to her, agreed, and then told her to leave me behind. She did, and, yes, I was being a jerk. Turned out to be exactly what I needed -a kick in my pants to knock it off and start treating my future wife the way God wanted her to be treated.

That's one thing I love about him.......he doesn't let flesh and blood come before what God wants. Like I said, he's a great role model of what Christ desires.

Now before you think he's Mr. Perfect, he'll be the first to tell you he's not. He's a sinner saved by grace and he knows it. This knowledge helps him to lead with humility. He's not afraid to admit when he is wrong and ask for forgiveness.

He also isn't afraid to grow his faith. Unfortunately too many Christians think they've got all the answers. With this attitude comes a lack of spiritual growth and maturity. My dad will continue growing his faith until he breathes his last breath. I know God couldn't be more proud.

The Blume family name could not have a better patriarch.

Oh yeah.....he's also lots of fun. He loves to goof around and he especially loves spending time with his grandkids. He will even reproduce the picture on the DVD box of "High School Musical" when asked by his grandkids.
We think they nailed it.

He's kind of cool. We think we'll keep him.

No comments: