"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Friday, July 11, 2008

Back to our Trip-The First Couple of Days

The weather wasn't great the first couple of days we were in Porto de Galinhas. This worked out well for us as it allowed us to just chill out and enjoy some shopping and exploring in the city.On our first day we enjoyed a great lunch at a restaurant called "Peixe na Telha" or "Fish on the Roofing Tile". We, of course, ordered the fish on the roof tile.
I'm not a big fish eater and I loved it. There was no fish left over after we finished. Benay said the mashed potatos were the best she had ever had. We had a great lunch with a great view.
We then went and visited more of the town.

It's a pretty simple little town. Someone told me the city has about 5,000 people living in it. The city was about a 10 minute drive from our resort.

On of the common things about wherever you go in Brasil is that there are always people asking you for money. It's done in different ways and there are many different, creative ways that Brasilians do this.

A man came up to me as I was sitting on a bench waiting for Benay to come out of a store. He asked where I was from. I said the United States (normally we say Porto Alegre) thinking this might stump him in coming up with a song but he went right to it with a good song full of American things including President Bush. Impressive.
We saw this man selling cashews out of his wheelbarrow.
Then in front of every store there seemed to be these little guys carrying leaves from coconut trees and following people. We discovered that they would come up to you and present you with something, "as a gift", and then keep following you and asking for any money you might want to give them.The first one we saw do this was a little guy who was right outside of the restaurant where we ate lunch. When we came out we saw that he was making something with his leaves.
We started taking pictures and he then made some things for Benay out of the coconut leaves. As Benay spoke with him, he told her he was 13, went to school in the morning and did this in the afternoon. We couldn't count the number of young boys trying to earn money by selling these things on the streets. He made a rose and a cricket. Very impressive. We had a great time visiting the city. At the end of the day we were tired but, as we say, "it was a good tired." It was a good start to the week.

2 comments:

royster family said...

Benay, you might not even know me, but I just want to tell you how pretty you are! Do you ever age? You look the same as I remember you when I was about 14. I think that was around 1987! I have just recently started reading your blog and enjoy it very much! Scott (my husband) would leave tommorrow if I told him we could go and he could be a missionary! He has always dreamed of it. Hope you continue to do well with your pregnancy and our family has committed to prayer for yours. If you like to read...I just finished a book called "The Shack" today. It has changed me in ways I can't even verbalize right now! I highly recommend you and your husband read it when you find the time. I would love to know what you think about it.

Blessings to you all, Melissa Royster (and the rest of the family)

Unknown said...

hey, funny story: I was reading your blog about how you like to take extra special trips on the 5's anniversaries, and i was thinking " man, mark and i should have started that, too! " ... (we celebrated ours yeterday!) .. but then it dawned on me that, we are stil at year #4 ! haha!

so, thanks for the idea!

much love - kaisers