"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Healthy Eating

So I'm coming up the stairs Sunday night to give Anderson a bath before he went to bed. He was waiting for me at the top of the stairs just munching away at something. I asked him what he was eating. He looked at me and with a straight face said, "salad."

"Interesting," I thought, considering we had not had salad at all that day, and even if we had he would not have eaten it. He is a good eater but "Mr. Salad" he is not. I asked him to look at me and smile. I was met with this:

He then smiled and said, "chocolate salad." Turns out he was eating a chocolate goodie that Bronwyn and Ansley brought back from their trip to Uruguay. It was hard for me to get upset with chocolate salad face looking back at me.

Believe me, he has lots of help from his older brothers and sisters in regards to abusing the "just one more (place your sweet of choice here)" rule as noted by this video:

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books

In the video Ansley reminded me of my grandmother (she's 92 now) who used to "hide" Carys (there is no bigger chocolate freak than Carys.....well, maybe Benay) behind her big chair while she munched away at cookies, candy, chocolate, etc. that my grandmother had given her after Carys's parents had told her no more. We have my grandmother to thank for helping to teach the kids the important life lessons of "healthy chocolate" as well as teaching them the art of helping each other "sneak" those already mentioned "healthy foods."

Whenever we are around my grandmother we realize we are fighting a losing battle. Carys still hasn't forgotten (7 years later) those wonderful trips to the corner of grandmother's room behind her chair.

It's impossible to get mad at a 90 year old woman who's sheepish grin might as well say, "Ah, he's eating healthy..........it's chocolate salad."

Thanks Mammy!

No comments: