"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Monday, January 05, 2009

Christmas in July

One of the weirdest things for us when we first moved here was to have Christmas in the summer. To take a picture with Santa in shorts at Christmas time just felt weird that first time.If you know our family very well you know that we now LOVE Christmas in Brasil. We plan on spending the next few blogs explaining how we as Americans could prefer to spend Christmas in the heat instead of in the cold.

One of the wildest places to go on any day of the week is "centro" or downtown and it's even wilder during the Christmas season.

Since I was a kid I wanted to live in a big city like Chicago. So going downtown for me is always fun. I love it. But if I want to go downtown with Benay I have to catch her on a good day. Sometimes the crowdedness and the smells (yes the smells.........I won't go into that right now) just do her in and she can't deal with it.

Bronwyn and I caught her on a good day in December. The holiday season helps her to overlook some of the stuff she doesn't care for downtown.

So, off we went to buy some Christmas lights............
.........and then my wife caused horrible flashbacks for me of my mom and grandmother dragging me into a fabric store when I was a child. You can always see some cool things downtown like statues and a beautiful Catholic church............................or a tiny store stuck in an alley
We finally found our street and it was decorated for the holidays. The big sign says, "Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year."
More to come.

2 comments:

Callie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a sick feeling when they go into fabric store. I hate Hancocks.

The Blume Family said...

Callie,

Always happy to find another Hancocks hater. Our moms probably went there together a few times. I'm feeling sick just talking about it.