"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Macgyver...............Junior

Garrett recently received the first season of Macgyver on DVD as a present.

Benay and I thought he would like it. We only get about 3 channels in our house and they aren't very good. We cut our cable a couple of years ago because of the awful things they showed and said (in the middle of the afternoon!). We don't shield our kids from the world but we also aren't going to pay to have filth enter into our kids (and ours) heads and hearts. It just doesn't make sense with what we teach them. So we are always trying to find shows that all the kids can watch together which, as you know, is getting harder and harder.

Benay had the idea of Macgyver. I remember watching it back in the day and thinking it was a cool show. Benay and I still laugh when we think of one of her former 3rd grade students trying to get himself out of some rope, Macgyver style, that was tied around him.

We sat down to watch the first episode of the first season together. Benay and I quickly remembered how bad the acting was in the 80's and 90's:Yes, it's like that.

The special effects are just hilarious to watch when compared to today's effects.

But the kids just loved it. They are burning through the episodes.

I caught Carys with my swiss army pocket knife yesterday. I asked why she had it. She said she was using the tweezers to try to get a splinter out of her foot but couldn't get it and asked if I could try. I couldn't find one. In fact I told her I didn't see anything that looked like a splinter. She said okay and took off. Strange.

Benay told me later that she caught Carys 3 times with my old swiss army knife. She was trying to be Macgyver. The tweezers suddenly made sense. I had caught her right before she went into Macgyver mode.

Later Carys asked me if I thought she could be Macgyver when she grew up. I told her I thought she definitely could be a girl Macgyver. She smiled a big smile.

If you've followed this blog for any amount of time then you already know about Carys. She keeps us smiling and laughing. It is never dull with her. She is a party, a giggle, a new funny quote, and a spanking ready to happen.....all at the same time.

I would not be surprised if she was the female Macgyver one day.

For some reason when I think of Carys and Macgyver, right now, I think in her 9 year old brain, the world`s problems would look something like this:

No comments: