"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Why I will never be MacGyver...

Moms wear different hats. We are cooks, chauffeurs, teachers, counselors, ....and the list goes on. Last week, I found out about a different role that I play. Here's how that conversation went:

We were arriving at Anderson's school and he was climbing from the very back seat to the middle seat. (We have a type of station wagon.) While climbing, he ended up doing a big leg stretch which somehow reminded him of MacGyver. So he said....

Mom, look, I'm kind of like MacGyver right now.

(me) Yeah, you are. That's neat.

(Anderson) Mom, when I grow up do you think I can be like MacGyver? (I sense a trend here...)

(me) Sure you can. You just have to go to college and learn all about working with wires and machines and stuff like that.

(Anderson) Oh, that's easy. (pause) Mom, do you know how to do that stuff?

(me) No, I don't know anything at all about working with wires and stuff like that.

(Anderson, immediately) Yeah, cause you're a princess, right.

(me) Yeah, that's right.


Now, if I can just convince the rest of the family.....

No comments: