"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Saw this on facebook yesterday.

We all understand this and I'm sure you thought of someone specifically when you looked at it.

I've always kind of felt that, as a Christian, I should be able to, well, for lack of a better term, "stomach" being around people like this.

As I read more about the life of Jesus I don't believe that's true.

I believe He calls us to love everyone but He also doesn't expect us to be floor mats to people, even Christians, who treat us poorly and abuse our kindness.

This picture reminded me of something I read recently from our brother Fenelon:

"What good is it to stay with a person to whom you could be of no use, when there are others whom you could help? Of course, if you have an obligation to this person out of friendship or relationship then you should stay. Otherwise, treat that person honorably and be on your way. You don't have to make things hard on yourself in the name of the cross. If there is someone you don't enjoy entertaining then don't do so unless you are called upon to do so."


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Absolutely true (and just what I needed to see today). Hope you guys are all doing well...

Laura (Sledge) Ratliff