"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Heat Spiders?

A couple of weeks ago Matt (our teammate) and I went for a run together. He, like me, likes to run.  Over our almost eight years of being in Brasil we've run quite a few times together.  We've even run in few races together.  I love to run with him.  We always spend time praying and encouraging each other as we run. 

On the day we ran it was very humid. Very humid.  One of our 90-100% humidity days with the temperature in the 90's.  

After our run we began talking about how uncomfortable it was to run that day and how hot our summer has been so far.  But how it was nothing in comparison to our very first summer here. The summer of 2002-3.  Matt remembers us having 12-13 straight days with temperatures at or around 100 (38 degrees celsius).  That felt even hotter where we lived at the time(nothing but apartments surrounding us) with the afternoon sun shining straight into our living room window every day.  We thought we were going to die.  We had to have special curtains made to help try to "black out" the sun and keep the heat out. 

Why share all of that now? 

The heat is back.  

A couple of nights ago it was 85 degrees (30 degrees celsius) in our house.  

It's not a fun thing to sit in a chair, lay down in your bed, basically doing nothing really, and sweat.  You can take an ice cold shower and get out and then you sweat.  It isn't fun but we have done the best we can to get used to it.  Okay, we deal with it.  

Two nights ago, as we slept, for some unexplained reason (so we thought) Benay and I woke up at the same time.  It was around 1:00 in the morning.  She told me she had the sensation of something crawling on her and it woke her up.  I then told her at the exact moment she woke up I was waking up with the sensation that something was crawling on me as well.  I literally grabbed something off my body and threw it across the room.  

It's a weird sensation to wake up from a dead sleep, feel something on you and instinctively grab it and throw it.  I must be a Jedi. 

We talked about what it was and the best thing I could explain was it was some kind of spider.  

Yesterday we were hanging out with some of our Brasilian friends.  We were all complaining about the heat.  

Benay then told our story of feeling like we had something on us during the night.  The wife of this couple told Benay that it's pretty common for the heat to drive the spiders out at night.  

Super.  Heat spiders.  In our bed.  Crawling on us during the night.  It can't get any better than that. 

Later, after that conversation, I got in my head that we would be ending this blazing heat soon. That somehow we were almost done with summer.  I started to feel a little bit better about getting the heat out of our house as well as the heat spiders.  

I have no idea what I was thinking.  In reality, if we were on the Northern Hemisphere calendar, it is only the middle of July here.  We still have a couple months worth of heat.  

Anybody have any Raid?

2 comments:

Sascha Terry said...

Did you know that on average a person will EAT a few spiders a year in their sleep? Having spiders crawl on you and into your mouth really isn't that uncommon! Your welcome for that little tidbit of info. ;)

Maybe this comment should be a post on Carys' blog!

The Blume Family said...

Okay Jeff Corwin, thanks for that disgusting bit of information. I am sleeping with duct tape on my mouth tonight.

I'm sure when Carys reads your comment she is going to think it's wicked cool. She'll probably try to sleep with her mouth open tonight.