"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Monday, July 01, 2013

Hino Nacional

The first time I ever saw a soccer game was in 2001 when our family first visited Porto Alegre. I watched the national team of Brasil play. I had no clue what was going on but was told it was a big game. At that time I didn't really understand the rules of soccer. I didn't know the world famous players I was watching and I remember just trying to take everything in. I didn't understand many things that night but I remember thinking it was the coolest sporting event I had ever attended and that's saying a lot because my dad has blessed me with lots of incredible sporting events memories with him in my lifetime.

Other than 2 things that happened that night I honestly don't remember much from that game.

The first thing I remember was that Brasil won and it was a BIG deal. It ended up being kind of a jump start game to us winning the World Cup in 2002.

The second thing that stood out clearly in my mind was the way the Brasilian people sang their national anthem (hino nacional). It was unlike anything I had ever seen or heard. Everyone sang and sang as loudly as they could. There was an amazing sense of national pride.

Yesterday Brasil played Spain in the final of the Confederations Cup.

It's a tournament hosted by FIFA the year before the World Cup and it's played in the country that will host the World Cup the following year. So this year Brasil hosted. Before every game the national anthems of both teams are played. But FIFA only plays around a minute of the anthems and then they just kind of cut it off. Everything is done in a very specific way with FIFA. It's all timed out to the specific minute.

Except something happened during this tournament. The Brasilian anthem cut off over the speakers but the fans kept singing. They began to sing even louder once the music stopped. The players stayed where they were, before moving to shake hands with the other team before starting the game, and finished singing the entire anthem with the fans. I have never seen anything like that.

We, obviously, watched every game in our house but we found ourselves getting to the tv in time to watch and listen to the anthem as well.

We thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share it with you.

B and Ans feel free to get your nacional pride on and sing along.



By the way, Brasil won 3x0.

No comments: