"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Holy Discontent

My dad turned me on to Bill Hybels. He is the senior pastor at Willow Creek Community Church in Illinois. My dad, as one small part of his ministry to my family, mailed me a book called "Just Walk Across the Room" over a year ago. It was an incredible book and really impacted Benay and me. We shared the DVD that came with it with our kids and our team. Benay and I taught a class on the thoughts that he shared. It's a book about literally, "walking across the room" to meet someone with the understanding that every conversation that we have has eternal consequences. We need to see people with His eyes and to realize that He is always putting people in our lives but we have to look with His eyes and be ready to act when the Spirit says act. I highly recommend this book.

This last Christmas Benay gave me another Hybels book called, "Holy Discontent."

As our team strives to continue to grow God's family the way He wants, the following quote from Hybel's book really jumped out at me because, well, this is what Benay and I are praying for. Here it is:

"Just imagine if pastors and other leaders let go of pride, fear, the need to please, and the need to control! What would happen if we took greater risks rather than staying married to the status quo? Or if all of us invited our colleagues and teams to engage on a consistent basis in the purpose-finding instead of problem-solving.....asking not 'What do we want?' but rather 'What results do we want to create?'

What if leaders and teams joined hands and got on the same page so that trust could accelerate, accountability could increase, blaming could disappear, and learning through trial and error could actually be acceptable behavior?

What if church leaders of every temperament and background and denominational persuasion were wide open to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and said, 'God, we want your mind on the decisions in front of us, and we already say yes to whatever it is you'd have us do!"

We are ready for this.....what about you?

No comments: