"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Saturday, June 06, 2009

65 Years Ago

When I worked as a physical therapist I loved to work with the elderly. Their insight and wisdom on things just blew me away. I loved to hear stories of what life was like when they were younger. I remember treating a man who was 100 years old. One day he told me the story of when he saw the first car that ever came into his county. I could listen to those stories all through our treatments and never get bored.

I think, however, my favorite patients were the men that served in the military during World War 2. I heard stories and saw things that these men brought home from the war that are still fried into my brain.

I think the thing that impressed me the most about these men was their humility. Not one ever bragged about what they had done or had been a part of in the war. No need for fanfare or bluster in their story telling. Most were reluctant to even talk about it.

65 years ago today was D-Day. Many historians think that if the allies had not won on D-Day then the war would have ended with a German victory. Over 8,000 men died on that day alone. Benay's grandfather lost his life in the war, and we are proud to have this heritage in our family.

About 10 years ago Tom Brokaw wrote a book called The Greatest Generation and in the book he said, "this is the greatest generation any society has produced."

From the books that I've read and the brief time I was blessed to spend with some of the men who participated in that war I would have to agree.

No comments: