"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Friday, June 12, 2009

Crack

Things are going great with the guys from the chácara. Benay and I have started teaching a class to the guys that are in the chácara on Thursday mornings and I continue to be a part of the accountability group on Friday nights with the guys that have already left the chácara. Some of the guys are also part of the house church that meets in our house.

I can't tell you how refreshing their honesty is. The way they confess sin is incredible. They openly share things, all things, from their lives. On more than one occasion I've seen them be unwilling to take the Lord's Supper until they go, right then, and confess a sin to a brother. Sometimes they do it privately, and sometimes it's in front of all their brothers and sisters. I've grown up and been around Christians my whole life and I have never seen this Biblical teaching actually acted out in such a way.

One of the things I am amazed at is the way they openly share what their lives were like when they were on drugs. Most of them were addicted to crack.

I have never been around drugs and so I have many questions. Especially about crack because it is so addictive. They always answer every question. They do not hide any aspect of their previous lives on drugs whether it be crack, marijuana, alcohol or whatever.

I've learned that crack was mainly their drug of preference.

I've learned that crack gives a brief high (seconds) but you will do anything to get that brief high. I thought the high lasted for hours.

I've learned that you will be addicted to crack after only one use.

I've learned that, while looking for their next crack high, these guys have seen and done the following: lied, stole, robbed, sold almost everything in their own house (including kids' clothes and things and wives' or girlfriends' clothes and things) to pay for the next high. They've told me of turning their backs on family and friends because the search for more drugs was too powerful. They told me of girls (some as young as 13-14) who would sell their bodies either for money, to buy more crack, or for a "pedra" or rock of crack. A rock costs $5 reais (Brazilian currency). In American dollars (depending on what the value of the dollar has done since we've been here) that would be anywhere between $1.40 and $3.30. I think of my girls being around that age and it just crushes me.

It has been an incredibly eye opening experience for me to be with these guys and hear their stories and learn more about these powerfully destructive drugs. If you have a picture in your mind of a bunch of rough-looking street guys then you need to wipe that thought out of your brain. Some of these guys did come from very tough backgrounds, but there are also a lot that came from good, strong families. You definitely would not be able to pick most of these guys out as drug addicts if you were to look at them in a group. I'm learning that this drug doesn't see color, education, or social status.

I say all of that to also share in their victory. None of these guys are the same since they entered the chácara. They all know that God has given them the victory. They have been to the bottom of the well and know that the only thing that saved them was Jesus. They are always looking for opportunities to share their testimonies.

Lives are being changed because of the chácara. Benay and I are blessed to be a small part of the chácara ministry. We have a front row seat to see how Jesus is taking victory over drugs for those who want to be free.

I was reminded this week of the importance of Christian places like the chácara in bringing deliverance from deadly addictions as I read an article in our newspaper. It was about the death of a 14 year old boy. He had been shot 4 times. Why? He was a crack addict and he owed the dealers some money and didn't pay. How much did he owe? $2.50.

Please pray that this ministry with the chácara will not only bless those inside the chácara, those that have left and are staying strong but also that we can find out a way to effectively minister to those that are on crack and hopefully help them to see their need to go to a Christian rehab center like the chácara.

I've lived a pretty sheltered life when it comes to being around drug addicts but, thank God, I am being allowed to see and blessed to be a part of a ministry that is attacking these addictions. We are being blessed to see God give victory after victory.

Like I tell these guys all the time, I want my kids to grow up around them so they can see the power of God in defeating Satan's strongholds.

Please pray for this ministry and for these men as they battle these addictions.

No comments: