"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Friday, February 17, 2012

Yesterday-The Heat and Other Stuff

My girlfriend and I have started training again for another half marathon. This time in April.

The training has been tougher because of the heat. For those that don't know, we are in the middle of our summer. February is equivalent to August in the northern hemisphere. And just like August in the states, it gets hot here in our summer. I'm not sure we've lived in a hotter place than where we live now. The concrete buildings, streets/buildings full of people and humidity will have sweat dripping down your back within a minute of being out in the heat.

Anyway, we got a late start to our run yesterday and we felt the difference. At 8:00 yesterday morning it was 86 degrees.

I copied this off the weather channel site last night for what our next few days are going to look like.

Porto Alegre, Brazil Weather

Updated: Feb 16, 2012, 7pm Local Time

RefreshUPDATE DATA
TonightFeb 16Fri17Sat18Sun19Mon20
Partly CloudyAM Clouds / PM SunPartly CloudyMostly SunnyMostly Sunny
Partly CloudyAM Clouds / PM SunPartly CloudyMostly SunnyMostly Sunny
--High98°High99°High99°High95°High
72°Low72°Low72°Low73°Low73°Low
Chance of Rain:
20%
Chance of Rain:
20%
Chance of Rain:
10%
Chance of Rain:
0%
Chance of Rain:
10%
At 8:30 last night we were sitting in our neighborhood swimming pool. It was 86 degrees.

We don't have central air . Most of our rooms have ceiling fans so it helps a bit. Anderson and Giovanni's room doesn't have a ceiling fan. There isn't enough room because of their bunk bed and wardrobe. In Brasil most homes don't have closets so you buy a wardrobe to hold your clothes. Because of that the blades of a ceiling fan just won't spin in their room. It would hit the wardrobe.

So we improvise and this is how the two little guys sleep at night.
 Two fans pointed right at their little bodies to try to keep them cool at night.

 They have never complained. It's what they are used to.
We don't love the heat but I love that our kids don't complain about not having central air or heat. Honestly, they just aren't used to it. Sure we'd love to have it but they've grown up never having it so they know how to make it through our summers and winters.

I have to tell you that all of our kids are weird but I'm the only one in our house that thinks they are. I mean I love them a bunch but when it comes to school starting they are all so weird. Why? Because they LOVE the day we go and get school supplies.

I don't ever remember being excited about getting school supplies. To me it was like a death. Summer was over and it was time to go back to school. I never was a school fan. Even Garrett, my "not a school fan" partner, LOVES getting school supplies.

So we spent a couple of hours doing that yesterday morning. I hated it just like I did when I was a boy. But we got it done and we are ready for the school year to start next week.

Think I'm kidding about the kids' love for school supply shopping? This was Carys' room last night.

All her new stuff just lined up. Like I said......weird.

On the way to the store Anderson had this conversation with my girlfriend:
Anderson: "Mom, is it true that cannibals eat the hearts of people so they can be more healthy?"
Girlfriend: "I don't know but it could be true."
Anderson: "Is it true that they eat lizards so it will help them be better climbers?"
Girlfriend: "I really don't have any idea Anderson."

Typical for Anderson.

We ate at the mall because we had to deal with some cell phone problems at the company store and then we had to go to the grocery store.

The kids actually didn't complain about the grocery shopping which was a nice surprise. They aren't big fans of that job but yesterday they did good.

As we were leaving the store Carys got Giovanni a squirrel mask. The squirrel is the mascot of a big grocery store chain in our city. I've never figured that out since I've never seen a squirrel anywhere in Brasil in 10 years of living here.

But Giovanni loved his mask. He came out of the store with it on and kept it on in the car. After driving for about 5 minutes we looked back and saw him like this.
He's in a deep sleep. Our family calls it "konked" and he's definitely konked.

My girlfriend picked him up and put him on the couch where he then slept for 4 hours and then we had to make him wake up around 6:00. He's never taken a 4 hour nap in his life. We think the heat just wore him out.

We came home from the pool about 9:00 last night and everyone took their 2nd or 3rd cold shower of the day to get ready for bed.

Don't know why I thought anyone, other than our two girls and maybe grandparents, would care about our ordinary day yesterday. Just felt like sharing. It's our blog so we can share whatever. Be grateful it wasn't video of a burping contest or worse. I can see Bronwyn and Ansley nodding in agreement as they read this part.

Yesterday was another hot day but it was a good day and we got some things done and had fun while we did our work and play.

1 comment:

Brian Walton said...

Hey man,

Love the everyday living posts! I have to admit, you'd probably hear some complaining from me about not having A/C in the house, but glad your kids are troopers! On a side note, nice looking floors in the house.