"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Name Dilemma

As you can see from our post last week, we are getting closer to the arrival of our newest addition to the family. I'm sure that you all are wondering why we haven't chosen a name yet. I thought I'd give a little explanation as to why this is so difficult for us.

First of all, we have a big family already. Getting 7 people to agree on a name hasn't happened - yet. Maybe it won't and the parents will have to make an executive decision. But, the parents aren't even in 100% agreement on anything yet either!!

Secondly, we are are Americans, but we live in Brazil. So whenever I hear a name, I think of how it sounds to us English speakers, but also how everyone that we interact with is going to say it. We haven't really cared about that with the other kids' names. The first four, Bronwyn, Ansley, Garrett, and Carys, were named in the US without any idea that we would ever live anywhere else. Brazilians can't say their names correctly, but we don't care, because we love their names and their names go with them. Anderson was born in Brazil. But Anderson is a relatively common name here. Anderson is a family name that we had been hanging on to for a long time and were happy to be able to use it.

Just to give you non-Portuguese speakers an idea of how Brazilians would pronounce things - here are a few examples:
- Anything with an "r" is a problem. Brazilians don't roll their "r's" but they flick them. So an "r" in the middle of a name kind of sounds like a quick "d" sound. An "r" at the beginning of a word is pronounced like an "h".
- "D's" are pronounced like "g's", and "t's" pronounced like "ch".
- No Portuguese words end in "n", so they don't really know how to pronounce an "n" at the end of a word.
- "an" in a word is pronounced like "un".
- "W" and the sound it makes don't really exist in Portuguese.
- "er" is pronounced like "ehr" or how we would say "ere".
- silent "e's" at the end of the word don't exist. They will pronounce the "e" like "ee".

So, here are some examples:
Brady - becomes "bday-gee"
Ryder - becomes "hy-gehr"
Landon - becomes "lun-daun"
Anderson - becomes "un-dehr-saun"
Cole - becomes "cau-lee"
Garrett- becomes "gar-ech"

These translations kind of put a different spin on your "favorite American name", don't they?

Lastly, we want a name that has a special meaning. Having a 6th child wasn't an easy decision to make and wasn't so easy to pull off. I (Benay) am 44 years old. We decided to try to have another one because we felt that this was God's plan for our family. We totally feel like this baby is God's gift to us and we want a name that reflects that.

So, there you go. We want a name that sounds good in English and Portuguese, has special meaning and that we all agree on. Not too hard, is it??

Our avenue for avoiding these problems has been to look at Italian names. We like a few Italian names, and English and Portuguese speakers say them basically alike. So, don't be surprised if our baby's name ends up being something you've seen on a pizzeria sign once before!!

8 comments:

Valerie said...

I feel your pain! (Well, not the big family part.) There were several names I had always loved that went right out the window because of how they would sound in Portuguese. Top of the list? Cameron. I just couldn't do that to my kid. We did saddle him with an unpronouncable middle name (Turner) but I had originally wanted it as a first name.

As Italian names go, I like Enzo. It can mean ruler of the house, which could be appropriate for the youngest child!

susandoss said...

Nicholas
William
Colby
Austin
Joshua
Hudson
Blake
Jonathan

Just thought I'd through a few out there for you, good luck and best wishes....Susan

Jennifer said...

I looked up Italian names that mean "Gift of God" and I liked Teodoro. You could call him "Teo". Boa sorte!

Leslie Klein said...

We are here reading your post and Dani suggested the name Dylan - in portuguese it would be "jilun". My personal fav is Gabriel and call him Gabe. My other fav name is Jude. Oliver is cute too and it is Dani's fav name. What about August? Really cute! Have you seen the movie August Rush? Great movie! Anyway, hope all goes well!

Karlye said...

Dane, Deven, Elias, Eller, Ellis, Evan, Madden, Kale, Micah, Osborn, Zaiden, Jack (Jackopa is a Native American name meaning Six). I will try to be thinking of some more!

Cindi Pitts said...

Do I win a prize if my name suggestion is chosen? I am going with Diego. It has a Hebrew origin and is the Spanish form of James. Perhaps one of your favorite books of the Bible? If you need it to be a bit more spiritual you could go with Sandiego which I believe means St. James. However, my prefernce which I know is very important to you is Diego. Doesn't Diego Blume sound great. Sort of like Orlando Blume. Hey wait a minute...what about that name.

Callie said...

I'm going with Mario or Luigi.

I can suddenly remember none of the names I heard while in Italy. Except Sandro (actually Alessandro), who is the gardening guy at the HUF villa.

I like Luca (I actually do like Luca - not the way I like Mario & Luigi).

Garrett said...

There's the reason my blog title (garrett.wisch.org) is what it is.

"O Gahetch!"