"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Two Years

Two years ago on this date Bronwyn and I went to the greatest and most fun sporting event that I've ever been to.....and that's saying a lot. It was the finals of the Libertadores and we won. It was cold, wet, started at 10:00 at night (post for another day) and was incredible.

Here we were. This photo was taken by our semi.....okay....mostly inebriated fellow fan. We thought he did a good job considering his condition.

Only the best soccer teams from South American countries are invited to play. Before 2006 it had been 13 years since our favorite team had played in this tournament.

Bronwyn and I have to thank my dad for making this possible. He has always understood that special sporting events make for lifetime memories. He took me to a couple of Final Fours (I had the privilege of seeing Michael Jordan hit his game winning shot for North Carolina), Sugar Bowls (Tennessee beating the snot out of the Miami Hurricanes), Tennessee football games in Knoxville, a guy's only trip driving from Tennessee to Chicago to see my Cubbies play, trip to see the Yankees.......you get the picture. Obviously from me being able to list all these things the trips meant a great deal to me.

My parents visited us in early 2006 and we had the privilege of taking my dad to see our team play a game in the Libertadores. He liked it and we kept him informed of how our team was doing during the year. When he found out that Internacional was one game away from being the champs he knew Bronwyn and I had to go. The day before the game he put some money in our bank account that was only to be used to buy tickets. He put in exactly what we needed and Bronwyn and I were able to be a part of an incredible game.


Like I said, my dad really gets the "lifetime memories" thing between dads and their kids. This time he made one for his son and granddaughter. Thanks, Pop.

Video usually doesn't do things justice but here are some tastes of what Bronwyn and I were blessed with.

This is what it was like 20 minutes before the game. The stadium was completely filled 2 hours before the start. I know this video is blurry but it gives an idea of the atmosphere.



Bronwyn going bonkers after our first goal.


Just after the final whistle.



As I finish this post I realize probably no one (outside of my dad) cares about the game. That's okay, this post can be just for him. I know Bronwyn and I won't ever forget that night.

No comments: