"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Pork Ribs

One of my Christmas presents from Benay was a daily devotional book for men. I read yesterday's devo to her and we agreed it didn't just apply to men. It's a great analogy that applies to women as well and so we've added the parenthesis below. Here is the devo and prayer from the book:

In a sense, our male (female) minds are like marinated pork ribs: They take on the character of whatever we soak them in. Only after going through the fire, however, does our true flavor come out.

So how does God's man (woman) "marinate" his mind in the precepts of the Lord? The Bible gives us the principle of meditation, as we read in Psalm 119:23: "Your servant will mediate on your decrees."

Lord, I want to take on the character of Christ, to live my life in selfless love. Teach me as I saturate my mind with Your Word and Your decrees.

No comments: