"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Soccer Family

We moved to Brasil almost 8 years ago.

At that time we knew nothing about soccer and I mean nothing.  Not the rules, not the teams, nothing.

On Tuesday I realized how much our family has changed in the past 8 years.

Tuesday was the day that the Brasilian national coach announced which 23 players would be on our World Cup soccer team.

The announcement was shown on national television and radio stations carried it live.

I realized how much our family has become soccer fans when we were on our way home from school and I was forced to speed to get home so the kids could rush in and watch the announcement live.  I then  watched as everyone in my family crowded around the tv to watch.

Benay and I talked about it later and we, as Americans, don't have anything like the excitement of the World Cup.  We don't announce a national team for the Olympics or the World Cup and have it carried live on radio stations and major national tv channels.  ESPN maybe but ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox?  No

Soccer really is the world's sport and we are excited about the beginning of World Cup next month.

Bronwyn isn't even leaving for college in the states until the after World Cup is over.

We've changed a lot in the past 8 years.

No comments: