"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Robots and Larry Boy

You might think that only Anderson says the funny things in this house and, in fact, he does say a lot of them.

But with six kids we hear many, many funny things.

The other morning it was Garrett's turn.

I (Kevin) wake up early. I've always been an early riser. We don't even use an alarm clock in our house because I'm always up.

So the job of waking everyone up to go to school is mine.

For the most part the waking up goes off without a hitch.

Sometimes kids whine about having to get up at 5:45 or 6:00.

Other times I get to hear something good.

A few days ago I went into Garrett's room to wake him up. He shares a room with Anderson and they have bunk beds. Anderson was already up when I went in and Garrett was still sleeping hard.

Here's how it went:

Me: "Garrett, get up buddy. It's time to get ready to go to school."
Garrett: "I'm not up yet."
Me:  "I know dude. That's why I'm waking you up."
Garrett: (lifting his head a little bit and looking at me) "Am I trading robots with someone?"

I had to leave because I was laughing so much. I came back into our room and told Benay who laughed so hard I thought we might have round two.  We didn't, but it was close.

I went back to take a picture of him but by that time he was already coming out of his stupor and was waking up so all I got was him turning away from the camera.

We had a good laugh. This was especially funny because Garrett is the most anti-robot boy you will ever meet. He doesn't play with them, has never played with them, doesn't talk about them and never has in his life. Robots and Garrett just don't go together. So we don't know why that came out of his mouth, which made it even more funny.

It reminded Benay and me of something he did about 10 years ago.

We were living in Mississippi at the time and Garrett's best friend was named Nathan. Even though we haven't lived in Mississippi for almost 10 years he still talks about Nathan being his best friend.

Anyway, when Garrett was 3 or 4 he came into our room at about 4 in the morning. He just stood there. We woke up and he said, "Nathan says I'm Bob and he's Larry-Boy. But, He's not Larry-Boy, I am!" He then quietly went back to bed.

If you don't know, Larry-Boy is from Veggie Tales and he looks like this.

We'll share again if Larry-Boy and robots ever meet in Garrett's dreams.

No comments: