"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Easter Retreat-Physical Activity

Today Ansley and I ran in a 10k race (more about that on a later blog), and it reminded me of my running buddies.

This is João Spencer, me, and Matt. Benay took this during the retreat. Not the best picture of us (we obviously didn't know she was taking it), but it let's you know who I'm talking about.

The three of us are runners. In fact, it was Matt who first challenged me to train for a marathon. We actually ran one together. Anyway, the three of us always run in the mornings on our retreats. We enjoy the challenge of a run. We enjoy the time together. We talk and pray and sweat. It's a highlight of every retreat we've been on.

The Easter retreat was the fourth retreat that our church family has done since our family moved here, and we shared how this retreat was kind of out in the country. On our past runs we've had to wait for cars, buses and big trucks before we could cross a road. We've had to wait for people to move so that we could pass.

We've never had experiences like we had last weekend.

On the first day, Matt and I ran together. João had to take his wife back home so that she could go to work and so he missed that day. We ran a few kilometers out to the paved road and then came back. On our way back we had to stop and walk because a bunch of dairy cows were crossing the road. I started laughing as the farmer asked us to walk until we got past them. That was a new one for us.

The next morning João ran with us. We were barely into our run when we were literally charged by a untied bull. We weren't safe until João picked a big rock up, yelled, and threw it at the bull. I think I laughed for the next kilometer. I could not stop laughing as I kept remembering João chasing this huge bull with a rock and then flinging the rock at it. There was no safe place for us to escape as the bull was on one side and a hill was on the other. I kept thinking of the damage he could have done if he kept coming. João was our savior.

Cows were everywhere.It made for some interesting runs - but it's not like we weren't warned.

No comments: