"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day

When I worked as a physical therapist about 10 years ago I was always amazed when I had conversations with patients who had been in World War II or the Korean War.  

I have always loved history and these men were walking and talking history books.  I still have their war stories fried in my brain.  

Their love of country was something that was very impressive.  They literally put their country before their own lives.  Sure, they wanted to come back alive but they were willing to die for the freedom of our country and for other countries as well.  

Since that time I have read many books on World War II.  Each one has made me more and more appreciative of what those men did.

Benay's uncle was in the Vietnam War.  A few years ago he gave me some books to read about the kinds of things he did during the war.  He is one of the most humble, good natured guys you will ever meet.  He put his life on the line for his country.  

I have an enormous amount of respect for every person in the military.  

Today is a day to honor those men and women who have been in the military or are currently in the military.  

If you are reading this blog and that applies to you, just know how thankful we are for your sacrifice to the country.  

If you know someone who this applies to then give them a hug today or shake their hand and let them know what they mean to our country.  

My dad, Garrett and I went to a professional basketball game last night.  

The biggest applause of the night came when they introduced and honored a man who is currently in the military.  I had goose bumps.  Everyone was reminded (even more so after what happened here in the states last week at Ft. Hood) that basketball is just a game while being in the military is a real life and death situation.  I was proud of what I saw. 

The applause last night is the way it should be.  Not just on the night before Veterans Day or on Veterans Day but every day.  

We should not take their service for granted.  

Thank you servicemen and women.   

No comments: