"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Interesting 36 Hours

Before my girlfriend left for the states I had five different people tell me to call them if I needed anything while she was gone.

I was offered babysitting, meal preparation, house cleaning and even (jokingly) company on our weekly date night since my girlfriend would be gone.

It's nice to have so many people wanting to take care of us while my girlfriend, daughter, and son are away but I wonder if they knew something we didn't.

Why?

Within an hour after we got home from the airport on Tuesday one of our dogs (Lucky) ran out of the slightly opened gate, as Garrett and I were taking the trash out, and he was gone. Garrett chased him for 20 minutes but with no luck. He hasn't returned since Tuesday night.

That night I got Giovanni's stomach virus that he had last weekend. From Tuesday night until this morning I only got out of bed to take the kids to school and pick them up. I'm still not sure what they did or what they ate yesterday after school (I was that out of it) but I know the house didn't burn down and nobody starved. That was good enough for me. Garrett was a good, responsible big brother.

This morning we were involved in a car accident on the way to school. It was really a small fender bender. Three cars involved. Nothing happened to my car and one other car but a third car involved had a cosmetic scratch on the bumper. Just enough that we had to call insurance companies. Fun stuff.
Thankfully the dad of one of Garrett's friends saw what happened, stopped and gave my kids a ride the rest of the way to school. Very nice.

This is only what has happened so far on our side. My girlfriend has a pretty wild story of what happened to them after they left us at the airport. You can read it here.

Carys went home with a friend today after school. That leaves me, Garrett and Anderson. Just the boys. Normally they have soccer practice today but the rain cancelled everything.

So what do three guys do together on a rainy, boring afternoon?

Eat McDonald's and watch Napoleon Dynamite (their choice for both). What else? Right now they are playing soccer in the den. It's a true guy day.

I'm hoping the next few day are more uneventful than the last 36 hours.

I do know for a fact that very soon the kids will be missing their mom's great cooking.

And I'm also pretty sure in a couple of days the daily question will be, "How much longer until mom comes home?"

Twenty more days but who's counting?

No comments: