"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bronwyn's Perspective from September 3rd

This, obviously, is Bronwyn and I am once again being forced to blog. Everyone knows that I'm a horrible blogger (read about baptism and school trip) so I'll go ahead and apologize. I'm supposed to talk about what the experience was like being in the delivery room with Mom and Dad. Well there's not really all that much to talk about that Dad hasn't already talked about. So I'm just going to talk about everything. We got to the hospital at about 2 in the morning. Mom was still feeling okay, so we all checked her in and went up to the right floor. Mom and Dad went into the baby land place (can't remember the name of the place) and I waited in the waiting room until about 10 til 4. While in the waiting room, I had a nice conversation with the lady who was waiting for her daughter. You probably could care less, but after over 2 hours in the waiting room it's a very important part of my whole experience. Then, I was called into the special room to put on my special hospital clothes. Then the nurse told me to just walk out into the big nurses area. So, I walked out and was completely lost for a couple of minutes until Clarice (Mom's doctor) called me into the special doctor's waiting area. So I sat there for a while with the obstetrician, the anesthesiologist and the pediatrician. I got to see Mom for a couple of minutes and figured out that when she starts to say "Help me, help me, help me!" I was supposed to squeeze her fingers as hard as I could. I was told that I needed to go back to the doctor's waiting room so the doctor could check Mom. She came back into the waiting room and said that it seemed Mom was almost there. In about a minute (literally) Mom was wheeled into the delivery room. I walked in with the pediatrician (who was assigned to make sure I didn't faint), looked around the room and found the emptiest part of the room, which was in the very back corner. Then, everything happened SO fast and all of the sudden, Giovanni slid out so fast I was afraid Clarice was going to drop him. The nurses took him to a special room to weigh and measure him, and I was the "parent" that was supposed to accompany them. After all that business, they took him to a front room to check his heart beat, breathing, head and chest measurements and give him a bath. For a little while, all the nurses went away and I got a little bit of time alone with Giovanni. He was just laying there, with his eyes closed and chilled. Someone made a loud noise and he started crying, so I started talking to him. He opened his eyes, turned his head to look at me and stopped crying. He was so cute. And that's it! I had to leave, because only one family member can stay inside. I changed my clothes and sat in the waiting room again until Ansley, Garrett, Carys and Anderson came. Some people might think it's gross watching your mother give birth or that I would faint or that it would be weird. But really, it was so amazing. Giovanni means "God is gracious " and there's no possible way to see something like I saw and not think that. So, I hope I didn't make everyone sleepy or want to puke or anything.

2 comments:

Susan Doss said...

Bronwyn,
Hi! This is Mrs. Doss (you know from way back in 2nd grade)! I know that this was an experience that you will NEVER forget. I got to be with my daughter when she gave birth to her 1st child. It is the most precious thing in the world to witness. If you decide to go into the nursing field, I'm sure you will be great at it!! Hugs! Miss you,
Susan Doss

the Jewell family said...

Bronwyn,
you're a great blogger! I loved reading this. How cool that you got to be the one family member to attend the birth. I'm a nauseous pregnant woman and your story didn't even make me gag once.
Samantha