"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Friday, April 16, 2010

Father-in-law

This is my girlfriend's dad.

Yesterday was his birthday.  Some people associate April 15 with only bad things because of the tax deadline.  Thankfully we get to celebrate instead.

I'm blessed to have a father-in-law that I enjoy to be around.

He loves being with his grandkids.....

......and he's not afraid to do goofy stuff with them that they always want to do. And if you know our kids, well, they can be pretty goofy.  He just jumps right in.  I like that.

I enjoy being around him because he lives his life with a quiet humility.  He's confident in who he is.  He doesn't feel the need to be the center of attention.  He is who he is and people like being around that.

I've enjoyed our conversation times regarding faith.  He's a blessing to me because he hasn't stopped growing spiritually.  I've known people that feel like they know everything there is to know about the Bible.  That they've reached a spiritual level and they don't need to do any more searching or learning.  It's their way or the else.  Honestly, I hate to be around those kinds of people.  My father-in-law is not one of those people.  He continues to search, he continues to grow in his faith, and that is an awesome example to me and my family.

He is a good husband, dad, and grandfather.

Our family loves it when it is time to visit his house.  My father-in-law always does the things our kids want to do.  He understands how important our brief times together are and I appreciate that.

I could go on and on about my father-in-law and it would all be true but what I am most thankful for is his daugther....my girlfriend.

I've never met anyone like my girlfriend.  She is the most gracious, forgiving, humble, loving, caring person that I have ever met.  She has made me a better person.  She has helped me to become more of the man God made me to be.  That didn't just happen.  She had great parents who did their best to lead by Biblical example.  Were they perfect?  No.  But they did things God's way and when they messed up they dealt with it....God's way.

I thank both of my girlfriend's parents for raising her to be who she is but on his special day I wanted to thank my father-in-law for being the spiritual leader of his family.  For putting Christ first and for welcoming me (even when it might not of seemed like the best choice with my rampant immaturity.....okay, I'm still immature so I continue to thank him) into your family.  I have been the one who has been blessed.

Happy (one day late) Birthday!

I (we) love you Granddaddy/Mr. Waite.

No comments: