"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Marie Blume-Invicto Champion

Note to our readers:  This blog is mainly for Bronwyn and my dad but the rest of you are welcome to check it out as well. 

We love it when my (Kevin) parents come to visit us.  We always do lots of good stuff together.

My parents are fun.  They are adventurous. When they are here they sometimes go out for a walk and end up at the nearby mall, grocery store or hardware store.  Even though they don't speak Portuguese they always end up coming home with exactly what they set out to buy.

So I don't know why I was a bit surprised last week when my mom said she wanted to go to a soccer game.  She said she wanted to see a South American soccer game.  We were happy to oblige.

On Sunday our team played in the championship game of our state championship.

We made sure we took a picture with everyone in their jerseys before the game.

We took a picture in front of the "Champion of the World" sign at the stadium.

We took pictures inside the stadium.

And then it was time for the game.

The first game my dad ever went to was a game for the South American championship called the Libertadores.  We started that game getting beat 2-0 before coming back to win 3-2.  In mom's first game on Sunday we started off getting beat 2-0.  After the second goal Garrett leaned over to me and said, "I think Grandmommy might be bad luck."

You see we are kind of a superstitious bunch when it comes to soccer games.  Our team has never been beaten when I take 2 or more of our kids to a game.  We have won or tied every game we've gone to.  That's kind of impressive over an 8 year period.  Things haven't been so good when we invite someone else into our group to go to a game with us.  We've won more than we've lost but we've lost a few games when we invite someone else.  So, the kids have become a little skeptical when a new person joins our group.

Thus Garrett's comment.

I reminded him of my dad's first game and that we could still turn it around and still win 3-2.

What happened?  Check out the highlights.

Exactly the same thing happened. It was very exciting.  Did my mom enjoy herself?

Check out this video of reactions after Inter scored their second and third goals and you be the judge.

We had a ball with her and are very thankful that she is not bad luck and that we can take her back to another game some day.

My mom joked that she was the only grandmother at the game. We know that wasn't true but even if it was that's okay. We all think we have a pretty cool mom/grandmother. Anyone who wants to go see our team play ranks high on our cool list. Especially a grandmother!

She had such a good time that she even partook in our post game meal of "espetinhos" or as our kids call them, "meat on a stick."  It's food you buy from street vendors and it's good.

Some Americans that have visited us and wanted to go to a game have been a little worried about their safety. They've seen things on tv that made them think every South American soccer match was wild and out of control.

My mom didn't seem to have that worry.

Although she didn't take her shirt off and wave it around after we scored.......

.........she did seem to feel right at home in our stadium.

We talked about how you can take a girl out of Tennessee but you can't take the Tennessee out of the girl.  I don't believe there was another barefooted person at the stadium until Carys saw my mom do it and then there were two barefooted people in the stadium.

You might remember the blog we did last week about my dad being invicto (never having lost a game he's gone to with us). Now my mom is also invicto but she one uped my dad. She got to see a vitory in a championship game.

 Sorry you missed it Pops and Bronwyn. Wish you guys could have been here with us.

No comments: