"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mammy

Today would have been my grandmother's 94th birthday.  You might remember that she passed away just four days after we got back to the states last year on our last furlough.  If you didn't read our blog at that time then you can click here to read what she meant to us.

We were incredibly blessed to be able to see her, talk with her, hold her hand, give her a hug and a kiss and tell her how much we loved her before she went to heaven.  We feel like she was waiting for us to get back from Brasil before she said goodbye.  Benay and I and our kids were so blessed and it's something very special to us that our kids were able to be with her one last time as well.  We won't ever forget that time together.

Mammy was the only great grandparent that our kids have ever known.  My dad's parents died in a car accident when I was 9.  Mammy's husband died when I was 23.  Three of Benay's grandparents died either before our kids were born, or after they were born but were too young to remember.  Mammy was the only great grandparent that our kids got to see a lot.  She was able to be with and play with all of our kids since they were newborns, except for Giovanni.   Benay and I can't tell you what kind of a blessing that is for us.

Mammy was a blessing to all of her kids and grandkids.

We miss her on this day and would love to be able to spend some more time with her again but we aren't too sad because we know where she is and we know she wouldn't trade that for anything.  She's home and we know we will see her again soon. I think sometimes about the two babies that Benay and I have lost and how, in my mind's eye, Mammy and our other grandparents that have gone to heaven, are with them now as they look forward to the rest of us being with them some day.  Very cool.

It's a special birthday today and so, as is our tradition, we asked all family members to share something about Mammy.

Giovanni:  "For Benay and myself we are happy to know that our youngest son will get to meet Mammy  someday."

Anderson:  "I LOVED her chocolate cake that was really good!"

Carys:  "I loved it when she let me hide behind her chair in her room and eat candy so nobody would know.  She was really nice, funny and she was the only great-grandmother I ever had and I'm glad I got to see her before she died.  I really love her."

Garrett:  "I loved everything about her.  I miss her.  I still love her.  I'm glad we got to see her one last time before she died."

Ansley:  "I really miss her.  She was really, really fun.  She was really sweet and she was a good cook. I love her and I hope she's having fun in heaven."

Bronwyn (from Rwanda): "I love her so much. She made me laugh and laughed at herself too. I'm so glad we got to say goodbye to her. When we went to visit her, she told Dad that I wasn't a dork. I can't wait to see her again."

Benay:  "She treated me like a granddaughter and I loved her like a real grandmother. I loved spending time with her and I can't wait to be with her again one day."

Me:  "My brain is flooded with all kinds of great memories from my childhood and going to be with her and my granddad at their house in middle Tennessee.  We always had fun in their little town. She always had good food waiting, she always welcomed anyone into her home and she always seemed to be in a good mood.  Benay and I are blessed that our kids got to know, really know, a great grandparent.  That five of our six kids got to know her and can remember all kinds of different things they did with her is a real blessing to us.  She lived an incredible life and we were blessed to be a part of it.  I too, can't wait to be with her again one day."

Happy Birthday Mammy!

No comments: