"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Andersonisms

Bronwyn,

Anderson walked with me to the bank today to pay some bills.

Of course he shot out a couple of good ones on the way home.

I bought him a Twix candy bar for being a good helper and going with me. He wanted to buy another one for his new friend (one of the girls from Peru staying with us).

When we were walking home I told him to make sure he put the Twix in the refrigerator when we got home so it wouldn't melt. He said, "No way, I'm eating mine straight."

As we rounded the corner of the praça we ran into a "small" woman. Anderson made a comment that reminded me of Garrett at that age. As we walked right beside her I said hello to her and Anderson asked (in his typical loud Anderson voice), "Dad, is she a midget or is she just old?"

As you know, there are many times when we are thankful that not many people speak English here.

He then decided that she was "half midget and half old lady."

I was so proud.

Seeing her then sparked another thought in his mind.

He said he was glad that I wasn't a midget and that mom didn't marry a midget.

He then talked about mom's "could have been wedding day" with the midget. He thought of how she would kiss him.

He asked if I thought she would have to bend over or just pick him up. Great question.

He decided it would be best if she just picked him up because he said he was worried about her health and he wanted her to take care of her back.

I know you are missing these deep conversations. You know he will have lots more ready for you when you get home.

We may just let you guys (just the two of you) spend a couple of days together in December to let our brains rest.

You could call it quality time for you two.

He is one funny little guy. We aren't sure when the "don't say it out loud" switch will finally flip on in his brain. Maybe never.

I actually think I'd be okay with that.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for letting us in on your note to Bronwyn. "Andersonisms" are my favorite blog posts. I really hope we can come see you guys in January. He and Elisa would resolve some profound philosophical questions.

Grace said...

I totally agree with Jennifer. See Anderson and Elisa talking would be
remarkable.
I miss "talk" to Anderson!