"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Noggin Thumping

I love it when God just smacks you on the head, or noggin, with something.

I felt that way yesterday after João and Clarice left our house.

The house church that meets in our house is studying Francis Chan's Crazy Love book.

I've shared before that my dad has a ministry (one of many) to me and my girlfriend of finding good books and then sending them to us. He gave us Crazy Love last Christmas.

I read it first and just loved it. Benay then started reading it. We both agreed it would be good to study with the house church that meets here.

Today we studied Chapter 2.

Last night as I read from this chapter I felt God reminding me of what I did not see in João and Clarice. The following comes from chapter 2:

"When I am consumed by my problems--stressed out about my life, my family, and my job--I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a "right" to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities.

Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives.

Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control.

Basically, these two behaviors communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and stress reek of arrogance. They declare our tendency to forget that we've been forgiven, that our lives here are brief, that we are headed to a place where we won't be lonely, afraid, or hurt ever again, and that in the context of God's strength, our problems are small, indeed."

In João and Clarice I saw no worry or stress as they dealt with their upcoming move to a new city or the upcoming birth of their new baby around the same time.

I want to see God move in the lives of all His people in these house churches in our city to not react with worry and stress when problems come. That they can meet these problems head on and even be thankful for them because they know God is still in control. I want to see this more in my life.

Benay chose the following verses to share with everyone this morning as she led us in prayer. These verses just fit perfectly in what we saw in our friends yesterday and how chapter 2 led us in our study this morning.

Philipians 4:6-7


Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.


I love it when there is no doubt when God is sharing something with you. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, bro. I am really missing you and our good talks. I look forward to seeing you in January! Peace, Sascha

David Elam said...

"Basically, these two behaviors communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and stress reek of arrogance."

Man, God has totally been speaking this to me the last few weeks!! It's so cool to see it in writing. I had never heard that before - that worry was arrogant - but that's what God's been speaking to me.

Praise the LORD!!