"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hino's

In case you forgot, this is soccer week here on this blog and these posts are mostly for Bronwyn as well as any other person who has lived in our city or those who have said they actually enjoy the soccer blogs. Contrary to what my girlfriend believes there are people that exist outside of Brasil that like soccer. Just last week I heard from an American brother who said he LOVED hearing about Inter and he wanted to make sure my girlfriend knew it (Thanks Bretton....nice job).

All that being said, today I'm going to share one of my favorite things about Brasil. It's not a video of a game or pictures of our favorite players but it's a big part of our soccer nontheless.

I've shared before that our state is the Texas of Brasil. Gaúcho's (what people are called from our state) are super proud of our state. It's hard to explain that in a way that anyone outside of Brasil can really understand. So I've decided to share it in a couple of videos that I took during the final of the recent Libertadores.

The Libertadores, in case you forgot or are wondering, is the biggest soccer tournament in all of South America. The winner of it each year gets to go to the World Championship in December.

Our team, Inter, won it again (sorry Grace) in August. In a month we will be in Abu Dhabi to try to win our second World Championship. Garrett, our friend Alexandre (Auristela's brother) and I went to the final in August here in Porto Alegre. Alexandre actually flew in from another state the day of the game just to see our team.

This first video is the national anthem (or Hino) of Brasil. Listen to the sound and the passion:

This next one is the anthem of our state:

I know it's hard to tell a difference in things at times when you watch a video compared to when you are actually there but the difference between the two videos (in sound and passion) is easily heard.

I love it. In big games the singing of our state anthem drowns out everything else.

I especially love watching the end of the second video and seeing Alexandre's passion as he sings.

I told you the Brasilian Texans are a proud bunch.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I like the soccer posts!

Russell said...

What a great post- we just returned to the local Vitoria stadium... it was overwhelming to see all the rubro-negro, even if we lost to Cruseiro. Please pray for our family as we travel back to Tulsa, OK, to take some time in counseling and reflection about our work and future decisions. WE LOVE you guys!