"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

No victory but Andersonisms

Sunday I took Anderson to the Inter game. Ansley, as we mentioned yesterday, is in Peru and Garrett had to study for a test so it was just me and the chatterbox (Anderson's description of himself).

Most of what I share today (players names, etc.) only Bronwyn and Ansley will get and appreciate. I apologize to the rest of you.

I've been taking the kids to Inter games for 8 years and I can probably count on two hands the times we've been beaten. We are super tough at home.

Sunday was the worst game we've ever seen Inter play. At least the first half. We've never been to a game where every player was terrible. That was our first half.

We played Avai who are in the Z-4. What that means is they are awful. They are on the verge of going to the second division next year. The bottom 4 teams in the 1st division go to the 2nd division to play for the next year while the top 4 teams in the 2nd division go up to the 1st division. 4 teams switch leagues every year. Imagine the Yankees having a bad year one year and being sent down the next year to play the entire year in triple A. Inter has never gone down to the second division (sorry Grace).

On Sunday, we played a team who is on the verge of going down to the lower league next year.

They quickly jumped out to a 2-0 lead. That meant a little disinterest in the game from Anderson which meant some Andersonisms. A few of the ones I remember:

Anderson: "Is Messi taller than Sobis?"
Me: "No. Messi is a little guy."
Anderson: "Is he a midget?"
Me: "No. He's just small."
Anderson: "Half-midget?"
Me: "No."
Anderson: "So he's just a shrimp."

Anderson: "Guiliano is stinking!! He's like Edu now."
Me: "No way he's like Edu now. He's way better than Edu."
Anderson: "Okay but he's definitely a half-Edu!"

Anderson: "Boy, that kid (guy around his age sitting right in front of us) is the luckiest kid in the world!"
Me: "Why? Because he is eating some Doritos?"
Anderson: "Of course.......he is so lucky!!"

Anderson: "I wish I were more of a boy."
Me: "What do you mean?  You are a boy."
Anderson: "I have no idea."

We were sitting in the social superior in the shade. The wind was blowing like crazy and we just had shorts and our jerseys on. He sat in my lap to keep warm. This led to this conversation:

Anderson: "Why are you not as cold as me?"
Me: "I am a little cold but I've got this fur on my arms and legs to keep me warmer."
Anderson: (about 5 minutes later and completely serious) "So do you hibernate?"

At halftime Garrett called me to find out why we were playing so bad. He's already worried about the Mundial. As I was talking to him Anderson started talking to two men, a woman and the Doritos boy in front of us. One of the men told him that Alecsandro was going to make 3 goals in the second half and we would win 3-2. Anderson told him that Damião was going to come in and make 3 goals.

At halftime Roth put in Damião and took out Alecsandro. Anderson tapped one of the guys on the shoulder and said, "I told you he was going to come in." They said, "You were right. Now let's hope he does 3 like you said."

About nine minutes into the second half guess who scored? Damião.

These guys (in typical Brasilian stranger fashion) immediately turned around and started hugging and high fiving Anderson. Anderson talked with them for the rest of the game.

Even though we lost, we had a great time.

Bonni and Ansley I include the highlights of the goals for you (as well as anyone else who cares.....Chris, Bretton, Pops, and our other Inter fans). They are painful to watch and I only include them so that you can see the first goal of Avai. They scored in 16 seconds. Garrett told me at halftime that it was the fastest goal scored in the Brasileirão. It really is a sweet goal. Every pass was just perfect. Sobis also had a sweet goal.

1 comment:

Chris said...

On the second Inter goal, I wonder how the goalie felt just watching the ball go by him and into the net?