"Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words." Saint Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Birthday

Today our youngest daughter turns twelve.

We've started a family tradition in our house that the birthday person gets to pick out everything that happens on that day.  Normally it's picking out things after they get out of school (lunch and an activity or two) but today is a school holiday. It's Carnival and International Day of Women. The kids are out of school because of Carnival. So Carys has the entire day planned. And I mean the entire day. 

It will consist of (and this could change at any moment): 

Handmade, homemade doughnuts. (She isn't going to come out of her room until the table is set.)
Opening presents "right after" breakfast. 
Eating lunch at McDonalds. 
Watching a movie, that we've never seen, together as a family. (Megamind)
Going to play at the game room at the mall. 
Homemade chicken strips. 
Homemade "Mammy's Chocolate Cake" for her birthday cake
Calling her grandparents and sister on skype. 

If you know Carys, then this list doesn't surprise you at all. 

We also have a tradition on birthdays of having everyone say something about the person celebrating the birthday.

Here we go:

Giovanni: "Carys is really funny. She tells me really good jokes. She makes me laugh so much. She plays with me and helps take care of me. She's like one of my best friends ever." (my girlfriend and Anderson helped translate his words)

Anderson: "She is one of the best sisters I've ever had and I love her. It's good that she's my sister."

Garrett: "She laughs a lot. I like to wrestle with her."

Ansley: "My sweet, sweet Carys... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You are one of my best friends in the whole wide world and I love you very much.

Bronwyn: "Carys is so sweet and funny! I love that she loves everyone. She's my favorite movie partner. I love you Keks!"

My girlfriend: "Carys is one of the most fun kids I know.  I love spending time with her and I love being her mom.  Don't grow up, Carys!!!"

Me:  "Carys is one of the funniest kids I've ever met. She loves to laugh and have fun. She makes friends so easily and there has never been a kid that she's met that doesn't like her. It's impossible to not like her. She infectious in the best way possible."

Happy Birthday Vivi!

No comments: